You might be noticing that whenever you buy fruits, it attracts a bunch of flies. You might buy the fruits fresh from the market, or store them really well, but it doesn’t help. Whenever you leave the fruits outside for some time, or even when you are cutting them up, you’ll notice certain insects flying around the fruit. However, the thing is, these insects are not there usually. It’s not present there when you’re doing random things, or you’re putting something else out. These flies only appear when you bring out the fruit.
The thing is, these flies are fruit flies. They only appear when you leave out fruit, or if they sense the presence of any fruit. You’ll not see them buzzing around regularly. So you might be wondering, how can you get rid of them? Don’t worry, because in this blog, we are going to talk about how to get rid of fruit flies effectively, and what causes them.
What causes fruit flies?
So, you might have noticed a situation when you buy fruits. You buy them and you leave them outside for a night. You bought those fruits fresh from the market. However, after leaving them outside overnight, you’ll notice that certain small flies are roaming above the fruits. These flies are very small. They are hardly noticeable if not for the light buzzing noise they make. And as the fruit continues staying outside, these flies increase in number.
These flies are basically attracted to decaying material. They are really attracted to rotting fruit produce or even rope fruit. You might see the same flies as they’re buzzing around trash or waste baskets which haven’t been cleared for a long time.
You might think these flies are small, and they can easily go away if you swat them, but they can multiply really fast and it can transform into a whole infestation. So, let’s take a look at some easy techniques which will help you get rid of fruit flies.
Some easy techniques to get rid of fruit flies
Now, let’s talk about some easy techniques to get rid of fruit flies.
- To start with, you need to find the root of the problem. You need to start by finding out why are the fruit flies swarming your house. The literal answer would be the fruit that you bought of course, but other waste materials or decaying stuff can attract fruit flies as well. So, get to the source of the problem. The easiest way would be to remove the source altogether, but it doesn’t mean those flies won’t come back. So you need some other methods to get rid of them permanently.
- Cleaning should be the most obvious next step. These fruit flies are attracted to rot, decay, and decomposing things. So, thoroughly clean the area where you store your things. If you keep your food items in a common, open area, then clean that surface as well. Clear out your trash cans and keep your place dry and moisture free. After cleaning out, the fly infestation might come under control. But if it doesn’t, then it’s time to take things to the next level.
- Now, this is where you can get a bit creative. If your fly infestation is because of rotting fruit or overly ripe fruit sitting on the counter, you can use it to attract all the flies and trap them or kill them. Inject the fruit with something that is toxic to the flies. Or just put them in a bowl. Cover the bowl with a wrap and make tiny holes in them. The flies will gather in the bowl through the holes and they’ll not be able to get out. You can keep doing the same thing every time the flies gather.
- Now, it’s time for the ACV trap. ACV or Apple Cider Vinegar is a very useful household material. Most people drink it but it’s also effective in getting rid of fruit flies. So, for this trick, pour a little ACV into a small plastic cup. Make sure it covers half of the cup. Then cover the top with plastic wrap. Make small holes for the flies to enter. As the flies come in, the acidic nature of the ACV will kill them. You can keep this mixture around the fruits after you buy it.
- Lastly, you can try the vinegar and dish soap trap. It’s the most famous and the easiest. You just take a bowl of vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap to the bowl. You can keep the bowl uncovered near your fruits if they’re a bit ripe. The flies would be attracted to the smell of the vinegar and dish soap concoction. And they’ll drown in the vinegar plus dish soap mixture.
Frequently Asked Questions Section
1. What kills fruit flies overnight?
There are certain traps that you can set overnight which will help you kill fruit flies. The vinegar and dish soap trap is one of the best and easiest.
2. What causes a lot of fruit flies in my house?
Letting your fruit rot outside the fridge, leaving out ripe fruit outside, and not throwing away rotten fruit or any food material can cause fruit flies to appear.
3. How do you get rid of fruit flies in five minutes?
All of the methods that we have talked about previously will get rid of fruit flies very quickly. Some of them will even take literally five minutes.
4. Are fruit flies harmful?
They are not harmful. But they can make your house look dirty and unhygienic so it’s better to get rid of them.
So, we have come to the end of this blog. I hope you found this blog informative. Now you know a lot about the pesky fly problem that you’re having. You can get rid of it easily and even tell other people about it!